CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Growing, Growing, Gone!



Look at my beautiful square foot garden. Everything is growing pretty well. My tomato plants are rather small, but they are growing. My lettuce and my spinach are doing very well. The carrots and the onions appear to be doing well, too. My cucumber plants are getting bigger, I'm hoping they start to produce soon.


This is a nice close up of my pretty romaine lettuce. It looks like it would make a great salad. Too bad I didn't get to find out. Because I wasn't feeling too well the past couple of days, I didn't pick anything. I did have plans of making a nice salad with it, though.

I went out today to pick some lettuce and spinach to put in a salad for dinner, when I reached my garden I notice the plants looked much smaller than they had yesterday. Something has eaten my nice green veggies. I was a bit disappointed. There was some of the leafy lettuce, but all my spinach and my romaine lettuce had been eaten. Good thing I had picked some of the spinach and put it in my fridge. I'm guessing it was birds, but I'm not real sure. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep them away??
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Jess

WOW it looks great! Yummy!!!

Andrea

You should ask your garden club about natural (non-chemical) pest control.. I want to know too! It could've been snails they are a pain and there can be a lot when it's been wet. I keep finding caterpillars in my flowers too. It did look really tasty, sorry you didn't get to try it.

Kat

We've been square foot gardening for about 5 years. I love the way it looks. Of course the ease of it and the unbelieveable yield are nice too! We are just past the frost point in our area so we were planting away this weekend. It is so wonderful that it is so EASY that all 7 kids from my 3 year old up to the 17 yo were able to help. My husband let's each kid have a box to plant and maintain whatever they want...they love it. So much better than the old fashioned way we used to do it...slaving all summer for little yield or subastandard worm eaten stuff.

Kat

OOPs... forgot to mention about the spinach...was it a buggy looking eating or animals...rabbits, ground hog and deer all love to eat the tender spinach...human scent will help to keep it out. When I cut my hubbys hair we sprinkle it around the garden. If you don't cut your hubby's hair, you can have your hairdresser sweep up a bag of trimmings for you when you go. Works like a dream. Lime sprinkled over the dew moistened leaves will keep out the bugs. It is nice in that it is a great addition to the soil and won't harm you or your kiddos.

Searls Stuff

Leslie ended up using chicken wire to build a cage around her garden. The rabbits will hit that stuff as soon as it gets big enough to be tasty!